Working with the Twitter API (until 7AM)

After working with Facebook API extensively, the other night I decided it was finally to learn how to connect via Twitter API (little did I know it would keep my up until 7AM). Just a few words on my overall experience that night: it was pretty difficult to understand at first and there was a huge learning curve for me in the beginning, but as soon as I 'got it' it was pretty easy. The biggest reason why I got it was because of Jaisen Mathai. So I started off going straight to Twitter's Dev site and looked right through their tutorial. I thought immediately after reading that it might be a little over my head. They talked a lot about Oauth tokens and the flow between client/server/Twitter authentication and I will admit I was a little lost and discouraged... but I realized Google exists! So next thing I did was Google through 'how to php Twitter API' and opened the first couple results into tabs on Chrome. I skimmed over them all and noticed they all used a little Twitter php class package put together by Jaisen Mathai. I thought, okay seems pretty standard let me download that. I immediately downloaded it from a web site that was NOT Jaisen's because I thought the instructions were a little more clear (sort of a mistake, I will explain), I uploaded onto a server, and started looking at the code. I read through the tutorial and looked through the code and found it was pretty straightforward. As soon as I started playing with it though and customizing it for a simple app I wanted to make, I kept running into issues.
<?php
$twitterObj = new EpiTwitter($consumer_key,$consumer_secret);
$url = $twitterObj->getAuthorizationUrl();
?>
That should have given me a $url with the proper oauth token to go back to Twitter and log a user in to my specific website. However it kept returning a url with the proper url minus the oauth token... I dug into the code and first thing I noticed was in the EpiTwitter class some of the urls were out of date. I tried to change the class variables into the correct ones, then I ran the code again and same issue.. The next thing I did was try to ask @jmathai and hoped that he'd get back to me. He actually responded really quickly saying to email him the question. So I did and while I waited for a response I kept looking online to see if the answer was there. All my search results basically linked back to his page so I decided...you know maybe it was wise to look at what he had to say about his own stuff. I didn't notice anything different until I stumbled upon his Github link to the project. I finally realized that, woops, here was my mistake. His Github contained the most updated code and so I downloaded from there and re-uploaded the library. Boom, baby. It worked. I had gotten a very basic version of logging-in via Twitter up on the server and now it was time to play. Of course also I tweeted back at Jaisen and let him know it was just my mistake of getting old files and he was kind about it. The next thing I did was read through all the documentation of the new classes and learn how it worked. It took a couple tries and it wasn't easy at first. But as soon as I learned the structure of the GET and POST requests it became simply a matter of knowing what Twitter methods were available via the API and how to call them. By the time I became familiar everything it was probably 4AM, so I spent the remainder of the night just coding a basic functioning version of the app I wanted to make (details will be released with the app later this weekend, hopefully tonight). It was a great experience and now I know how to deal with the Twitter API! If anyone has any questions about this or needs help getting started, let me know. I feel like I have learned enough to be helpful enough at this point.